We the Pastor and Members of Oak Grove Baptist
We the Pastor and Members of Oak Grove Baptist are:
Striving to become your church of choice for this generation by:
- • A place where the Word of God is taught
- • A place where the Spirit of God is alive
- • A place where fellowship is real
- • A place where Jesus Christ is exalted
We believe that we can reach the world for Jesus Christ, if we touch one life at a time.
Come join us, let us touch you and change your life.
May God bless and keep you!
Pastor Poleon &
Evangelist Roxie Griffin
Our mission: "To Reach the world for Jesus Christ, touching one life at a time."
"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. A-men." Matt 28:19-20
- 1900 Original congregation formed from members of Wolf Creek County Line Baptist Church. Congregation included Charlie Pye, Rand Victom, Frank Williamson and Carrie Roberts Gay.
- 1901 Land purchased for first church building for $7.00. First church building built at approximately this time.
- 1921 Sixteen members baptized by Rev. 1som Evans.
- 1928 Benny Gay ordained and becomes Chairman of Board of Deacons, s11me he was the only deacon.
- 1947 Second church building constructed under Rev. James Stafford.
- 1953 Senior Choir organized under Rev. Paul Prothro. Mrs. Lettie Prothro, Director; Mrs. Ella L. Gay, President.
- 1955 Benny Gay, Chairman since 1928, moves to Texas. George Gay becomes Chairman.
- 1970 Current church building constructed. Cost, $5,000. 1976 Construction of fellowship hall. Cost, $7,000.
- 1986 Rev. S. D. Obie elected pastor. Fifty-six new members added by the end of 1987.
- 1988 Oak Grove sponsors first vacation bible school. school.
- 1989 Improvement and enlargement of sanctuary completed. Cost, $22,000 Church witnesses its most successful revival. Rev. Felton James, evangelist.
- 1990 Rev. R. Bryant elected 29th pastor.
- 1992 First Sunday in May, Sister Janice Stodghill, the first woman licensed to preach by a Baptist church in Butts County, preaches first sermon.
- 1993 Bank note for 1989 church improvements retired.
- 1994 Church improvements. County water, indoor baptizing pool, sanctuary pews, new carpeting. 1996 Fellowship hall improvements.
- 1997 Rev. Poleon Griffin installed as 30th pastor of Oak Grove. 1999 Wall of sanctuary redone, bathrooms remodeled.
- 2000 Fellowship hall remodeled addition of new kitchen and dining area. Cost, $40,000.
- 2004 Bank note for 2000 church improvements retired. 2006 Sister Roxie Griffin licensed to preach.
- 2007 Reverend Reginald Morgan licensed to preach. 2009 Oak Grove goes online at https://www.myogbc.com/